STRATEGIC PLANNING FACILITATION
Those who fail to plan, plan to fail.
Today’s fast-paced business environment requires that organizations develop strategic plans in order to navigate and thrive. Everyone wants more and the stakeholders continue to grow – customers and clients, employees, partners, community, shareholders etc. Organizations are servants to many, while still being required to enhance profit performance. Additionally, information literally flows at the speed of light – phone, text, computer, instant messaging and social networking all compete to add to the complexity of life today.
This means that leaders are faced with a myriad of more and more choices on a daily basis, both personally and professionally. Choices that at one time seemed simple and clear can now be complex and overwhelming leading to greater hesitancy and lack of clear direction, clarity and focus.
The ONE PAGE Strategic Plan allows leaders and associates a common platform from which to make decisions and guide direction on a daily basis.
When designed appropriately, your organization’s Strategic Plan cuts through the clutter. It becomes THE roadmap for providing clarity, consistency and organizational alignment.
Benefits of Strategic Planning
1. Clearly define purpose of organization
2. Establish realistic goals and objectives consistent with mission
3. Communicate identified goals and objectives to the organization’s constituents
4. Develop a sense of ownership of the plan
5. Ensures effective use of resources surrounding key priorities
6. Provides a baseline from which progress can be measured
7. Brings together the best and most reasoned efforts of key contributors to build consensus around where the organization is going
8. Provides clearer focus, producing more efficiency and effectiveness
When Should Strategic Planning Be Done?
Often organizations, especially smaller in size, tend to hesitate about engaging in the Strategic Planning Process because they just aren’t sure about when or how to implement. The answer is different for different organizations because the timing really depends on the nature and needs of the organization and its immediate external environment.
For example, planning might be carried out frequently in an organization whose products and services are in an industry that is changing rapidly. In this situation, planning might be carried out once or even twice a year and done in a very comprehensive and detailed fashion. An older organization in a stable marketplace may only do planning once per year. Consider developing a Strategic Plan when:
§ starting a new organization.
§ preparing for a new major venture, such as developing a new department, division, major new product or line of products, etc.
§ there have been major changes in one’s industry and the organization needs to re-evaluate its relevancy in the then current climate.
If there are no drastic business changes, a good Strategic Plan should be useful for three (3) to five (5) years.
At Leadership on Speed LLC, we work with the organization to develop a plan that carries them through the next three (3) to five (5) years. Stemming from that plan are goals and objectives covering the next one (1) to two (2) years and the development of ongoing priorities and action plans that will need to be evaluated on a quarterly basis (every ninety (90) days).
What makes our process different?
First of all, our skilled Strategic Planning Facilitators can take your organization from Phase 1 (Visioning) to Strategic Plan completion in six hours or less, on average regardless of industry. There is no need to have your key personnel off-site for days at a time. Our Strategic Planning Facilitators are highly trained and skilled at keeping your team present, focused and on task while allowing sufficient time for engaged deliberation and discussion.
Additionally, we find that long, cumbersome, involved Strategic Plans are not functional for many of our clients. Therefore, our participants walk away with a comprehensive ONE PAGE Strategic Plan which allows for ease of use and dissemination.
Additional Reasons to Hire a Leadership on Speed Strategic Planning Facilitator:
1. Your organization has not conducted strategic planning before
2. For a variety of reasons, prior strategic planning was not deemed successful
3. There appears to be a wide (and perhaps disparate) range of ideas and/or concerns among organization members about the strategic planning and current organization issues to be addressed in the plan
4. The organization does not have a member with sufficient facilitation skills
5. No one within the organization is committed to facilitating the strategic planning process for the organization
6. Leaders believe that an objective voice would better serve the strategic process (i.e. someone not likely to have a strong predisposition about the organizations strategic issues and ideas)
7. Leaders believe that an inside facilitator may either inhibit the process or that the internal facilitator will not have the opportunity to fully participate in planning themselves
Your formal ONE PAGE Strategic Plan includes the following:
Additionally, as part of the process your team will engage in a full-on SWOT Analysis; however, the process is not complete simply because the plan is “in hand”.
Further steps include:
« Assigning Ownership to Priorities along with specifying completion dates
« Developing Action Plans to pull-through identified Priorities
« Disseminating completed Strategic Plan to all key stakeholders and associates
« Cascading process down through departments
« Developing ongoing meetings with Owners to ensure task completion
« Ensuring Quarterly meetings to re-assess and identify new Priorities, Owners and Actions
If your organization has been through an unsuccessful Strategic Planning Process or you are concerned (for whatever reason) that implementation may be a problem, the following guidelines will help ensure that the plan is implemented:
Ø When conducting the planning process, involve the people who will be responsible for implementing the plan
Ø Ensure the plan is “stretchy” but realistic
Ø Ensure the plan flows down to include an Action Plan detailed for ownership and due dates
Ø In the overall planning document, specify who is doing what by when
Ø Clearly set follow-up meetings to ensure action is occurring
Ø Depending on needs, consider assigning Priorities to pairs of people
Ø Set next meeting date while at current meeting. This ensures participants are clear about the organizations commitment to the process
This is just a small part of what we manage for you. Our clients find the Strategic Planning process one of the most valuable things they can do for their business and we enjoy the opportunity to support them to drive extraordinary results through this process. Contact our offices today to speak with one of our Strategic Planning Facilitators and determine if one of our ONE PAGE Strategic Planning Process is a fit for your next planning meeting or retreat.